Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Desperation

A while back I was perusing the pages of facebook. I enjoy reading the 'info' pages where people declare their favorite music, shows, movies, books and quotes. On Elliott's page I read quotes from Ravi Zacharias, Newt Gingrich, Peter Sagal, and C.S. Lewis. I then read a familiar sounding quote and was taken aback when I realized the author was me!

"The problem with our prayer lives is not so much that we only pray when we are desperate, but that we're only desperate when we pray. We're not desperate nearly enough. Our greatest need, then, is a greater sense of need." (Matt Rose)

This week I preached on prayer. But only since then have I re-grasped my own quote. This week has been bigger than me. It's too big. There's too much to handle. I can't handle it. And so I find myself quiet, thoughtful, and prayerful. I pray because I need to pray. How unfortunate that, perhaps, next week or next month I may return to the routine life of feeling sovereign. Do we need such times or should I be seeking a state of constant desperation?

No comments: