Friday, June 12, 2009

10 Year Reunion

Tonight, I went to my 10 year reunion. In some ways it's hard to believe that I graduated from High School 10 years ago. In other ways, high school seems like lifetimes ago. Oddly enough, I talked to a few people more tonight than I did in 12 years of grade school. And that's not to say I talked to any of them for more than a few minutes. I was very quiet in school. And I was very quiet this evening at the reunion. Go figure that my profession involves tons of public speaking.

Speaking of public speaking, some people do indeed find it surprising that I'm comfortable speaking in public when they observe my quietness in more casual public settings. I don't think of speaking in the classic private/public dichotomy. It's more about order/disorder. I like to speak when I'm in charge. I'm quite content to let others speak (and frankly, am somewhat uncomfortable speaking) when I'm not in charge. Maybe that is a flaw in me. Katie says it's not (but she might just want me to end this post and go to bed).

Goodnight.

No comments: