Wednesday, May 27, 2009

True Confessions of a Shop-a-holic

I guess this title is a bit of a misnomer, since I’m not really a shop-a-holic, and I don’t have anything to confess about it. Hfrmph.

I’m NOT a fan of shopping (especially around the holidays) because of the large crowds. For some reason, it makes me feel claustrophobic and I have to get out… You’ll recognize me at Wal-mart as the lady carrying 45 pounds of products to avoid using a cart (because if you have a cart you can get trapped in).

In case Matthew comments, I want to make the distinction that I’m not a fan of “shopping”... but I am a fan of buying things. I think I don’t go crazy with it... Usually I have a list of where we are going and what we are getting so it can be fast. I might occasionally add something fun… but it’s usually groceries and items for church. : - )

I was hoping to become a shop-a-holic this past weekend, however, because one of my favorite things was occurring in mass amounts all across the county…. Garage Sales!!

I have a love-hate relationship with garage sales. On one hand… they are my adventure. Throw me in a room with a bunch of people talking about their hunting trips and how many deer they came home with, and I’ll pipe up with a story about the time I found a child’s rocking horse for only three dollars… in perfect condition too!

On the other hand… I abhor them. On the few occasions that I have dared to organize one, by the end of the weekend I am tired, sunburned, cranky, and have a fistful of cash much smaller than what I would have gotten had I just stayed at work. I usually also develop a facial tick from dealing with people arguing with me because I am selling a $35 item for $1.00, and they’d “really rather pay 50 cents.” Argh!!

Anyways.. I missed my chance because of the mites (who, thank the Lord, have not come back yet!). Don’t worry, though… June 6 is the TOWN-WIDE garage sale. There is hope for me yet.

~Katie

1 comment:

matthew said...

How bout this... for every dollar you spend at a garage sale, I'll bring back 1 mite