Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Idol #5

I don't like Neil Diamond, so I was not a fan of this week's episode. In fact, it was pretty miserable. I have no interest in hearing any of those songs again. The highlight of the episode was Paula Abdul's drug-induced glance into the future (she commented on Castro's 2nd song before he even sang it!). What happened? The problem is that her explanation didn't make any sense. She criticized Castro's 2nd song and then, once she realized he hadn't sang it yet, declared that she was accidentally commenting on David Cook's song. But that doesn't make sense b/c she said David Cook did great. What's more troubling is that her prophetic comments about Castro were actually quite astute. I speculate that she knew she wouldn't be able to think fast enough so she wrote comments based on their warm ups and practice sessions. And then her 'medications' prevented her from realizing what had and had not happened yet on the show. In any case, it was funny how long they let her talk! But enough about Paula.

As I said, the performances were all forgettable. I give the weekly victory to Syesha. She has found her style and is singing with confidence and like-ability. David Cook finishes 2nd with 2 more solid performances (especially the 2nd). Archuleta was 3rd place with 2 solid, albeit boring, performances. I actually don't like it when the contestants pander to patriotism. Simon was right that Brooke's first song was a nightmare. But her 2nd song was bordering on my favorite of the night. I actually liked Castro's first song well enough, but that second song was dreadfully boring. Ugh.

I think Castro and Brooke are in trouble. I have no idea who will join them in the bottom three, but I am quite certain those 2 will be there. If I had to guess I'd say this is the end of the road for Jason Castro.

2 comments:

Jecca said...

While the contestants didn't do so great, this was a refreshing week for me. I grew up listening to Neil Diamond because of my mom's love for him (I believe I've seen him in concert 3+ times?) and it was great to hear some of my childhood favorites. I absolutely despise "oldies," but Neil Diamond will permanently have a special place in my heart.

I like "September Morn," Jason's second song. I thought he did it very well. My favorite of the night was probably David C. David A is boring to me too. Syesha did well...Brooke's second song was great. Overall, I wasn't thrilled with anyone in particular, but favor David C more and more as the weeks pass. I think Jason will go tonight too.

Anonymous said...

I also dislike Neil Diamond, and that made it a bit rough. I will agree with Jecca that Jason did very well with September Morn. I also agree that Brooke's second song was wonderful, emotional, and touching; and her first song was terrible (maybe if she left out the guitar?). David A did great on Sweet Caroline, but America sounded like a Disney sing-a-long. Syesha did well, but not amazing like last week. David C. wasn't memorable to me either.

I think Jason should go, but predict that Syesha probably will go.