Monday, March 24, 2008

Pagan Christianity

Over the next few weeks I will occasionally post about a book I began reading tonight by Frank Viola & George Barna entitled "Pagan Christianity" which explores the roots of our church practices. Tonight I will just give some thoughts on the introductions of the book:

Viola's introduction begins by comparing the modern day institutional churches with the 1st century Pharisees (who added to Scripture) and Sadducees (who took away from Scripture). In other words, Viola wrote this book b/c he feels the bulk of Christianity follows extra-biblical traditions and/or ignores necessary practices of the 1st century church. He describes those who are leaving this man-led church as 'daring souls' who have taken a step of faith in the right direction.

Barna's introduction claims that millions are leaving the institutional church in an effort to return to a purer form of Christianity. He says the bulk of the church, today, relies on 'marketing strategies to perform the same activities in different ways and places.' He says, in fact, that 'most' of what churches do has 'no precedent' in Scripture. It was the era's of Constantine, Reformation & Revivalism that introduced 'pagan' practices into the church.

Reaction: I like the bold stance of both writers. I don't like to read stuff by people who don't feel passionately about what they are writing. That being said, I question one of the major premises behind the book. Both authors paint a picture that multitudes are leaving the institutional church for a purer form of Christianity AND that this is a great step of faith. First, I doubt millions are leaving for THAT reason. Second, I am not convinced leaving is as great a step of faith as staying and being a change agent. I think both authors are guilty of some overstatement in their introductions. That being said, I'm very interested in finishing the book and have, so far, found it stimulating to the mind.

9 comments:

Robin said...

Every good author overstates his case. At least that's what Mike MacNeil always says.

This one's on my to-read list too. I'll be interested to read your thoughts. Maybe I should read it myself first, though.

Donald said...

I read the book and loved it. There's also a great interview with the authors here http://www.ptmin.org/barna_viola.mp3

theajthomas said...

The thing that makes me wary of this book is that the authors have a definite pro house-church agenda. It would be hard for me to listen to their historical stuff without just seeing it as a way for them to try to prove the conclusion they have already come too.

I also heard the guy who isn't Barna in an interview and in the course of that 15 minutes or so he said several things that were very selective out of scripture to prove his point. Such as "the early church met in homes." yea, but they probably did so out on necessity not design and they also met in the Temple courts.

I have no love for the pagan influences in Christianity but this guy gave me the clear indication he thought even preaching itself was a pagan practice- if so everyone from Jesus to paul chose to adopt it so I guess it must me ok.

Owen said...

I took a completly different take on the book. What stuck with me is that Christianity can handle "pagan" influences and still be Christianity. Maybe we don't need to be so concerned about the "influence of the world" because 2000 years of that hasn't changed the fact that God is still God.

Also- maybe we shouldn't hold on to our traditions so hard because they are probobly pagan in orgin. We arn't really gaining or loosing anything by changing. It's still man make world influenced religion grasping at something perfect and holy and true.

I ignored pretty much everything Viola said. I had a dialouge with him on the Ooze once and thought he was a tool.

matthew said...

Hey Lindy...can you elaborate on him being a tool? This is the first I've read anything from him.

Donald said...

I've met Frank a few times and I have friends who know him well. They all say he's a nice guy and very open. The interview with him and Barna gives you a good idea of his personality. One thing I liked the best about the book is the history in it. I found much of it to be information I never heard before. I found Barna's change remarkable. He explains it on that discussion.

Steph said...

sounds like a book I would be interested in reading, new ideas are always good.

Owen said...

Matthew- LOL- sure I'll elaborate.

He wrote an article on the Ooze. It was a fictional "interview" of the average church-goer. We were discussing it on the message boards and Viola came and joined the discussion.

He was condesending and didn't really deal with any of our criticisms of his article (the general consensus was that it was un-realsitic, patronizing, and judgemental). I didn't like the article much- but I really didn't like the tone he took on the boards. The majority of the posters are seasoned pastors/professors/theologins. I thought he was a jerk.

He could come off completly different in real life. I don't want this to be a character attack or anything- I had a very limited experience. It's just the reason I don't really pay attention to what he writes.

Donald said...

Hi Lindy. This doesn't sound like the person I've met and that my friends know. Everytime I've heard him speak live or on interviews, he's always been caring and nice. I've written him many times and he has always replied quickly and cordially. His email is Violabooks@aol.com if someone wants to write him.

I'd like to know about George Barna's book Revolution. This one came out before Pagan Christianity. Has anyone read it? What did you think about that?