Monday, August 20, 2007

"Christianity"

Yesterday in our study through 'Acts,' our Sunday School class discussed the fact that the disciples were first called 'Christians' in Antioch. It got me to thinking, the disciples there must have been noticeably distinct to merit receiving a fresh title from the surrounding society, but that's another post for another time. It also got me to thinking about the name 'Christian' and what it communicates in our culture today.

Since most of North America claims to be 'Christian,' it's quite likely and obvious that the term has been watered down. So what are we to do about that? Here's where personalities come into play. Some (prominent Christian authors included) will say that we should jettison the term and replace it with something new. Others, however, believe we should 'strengthen what remains,' and fight for the worthiness of the name.

My question for you is, what word or short phrase do you think is best for describing those who truly belong to Jesus? Here are some possibilities. Please add to the list: Disciples, Christians, Believers, Followers of Christ, Followers of the Way, Born-Agains, Evangelicals, the Church, the True Church, Body of Christ...

5 comments:

Robin said...

Anything but Evangelicals, because that word's lost it's meaning too.

theajthomas said...

Followers of Jesus
Disciples of Jesus

Owen said...

I still use Christian- but rarely, if ever, say I'm a Christian without explaining that it's more about God than the religous system.

Owen said...

I never EVER call myself an evangelical- I live in DC- I would be lynched.

Scott said...

How about "obedients of faith".