Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Pride & Prejudice

As many of you know, I'm not a reader of fiction. I have never read Jane Austen's book. I had no idea what the basic storyline was until last night when I watched the 2005 version. I liked it for a number of reasons. First, the dialogue was a welcome contrast from the typical movie. Second, Keira Knightley was not only beautiful, but her performance was very impressive I thought. Finally, the storyline was adequate. I was somewhat surprised it wasn't an even better storyline, but the eloquent script made up for than and then some. I'd be glad to see it again sometime.

Rating: 7.0
Status: Must See

8 comments:

Jo said...

ha! yes! another male admits to liking this movie. i can't believe you haven't seen this until now--watching P & P is like a rite of passage.

Steph said...

i approve of this review.

tho if you liked the script I would reccomend reading the book, it's very beatifully written and there's so much that a movie just couldn't put in.

Elliott said...

Disagree. One of the most boring movies I have ever seen. I couldn't wait for it to be over. This is on my top 3 worst along with Adaptation & Some other movie I can't remember the title of.

Owen said...

I liked the movie a lot to- but I hated the book, which I read in high school before the movie came out. I find with Jane Austin in general I am willing to invest 2-3 hours in caring who these people will marry. Investing about 30 hours is far to much for me. Especially Pride and Prejudice in which keeping all of those Bennet Sisters straight is a nightmare. I'll stick to the movies.

Elizabeth said...

I love the story but prefer the BBC version.

Jecca said...

Finally! Matthew, I'm so proud of you!

Kirk said...

I have talked many times about this. The BBC version is way better. I don't use this term often but the U.S. version "bastardizes" an amazing BBC series.

Anonymous said...

I've seen both versions and read the book, and like all three. Maybe I'm just easily pleased.

I will have to say that Jane Austen can be very hard to read because the story usually doesn't move very fast. The characters are always taking walks and going to dinner parties, and pretty much that's all they do. Not that easy to relate to, but still entertaining.