Tuesday, March 13, 2007

No Mo Healing

On the opposite end of the pendulum from the 'on demand' crowd are the cessationists. A cessationist is one who believes that the miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit were a temporary phenomenon; that such miracles are no longer part of God's activity in the world.

Why not?

Most cessationists think miracles were part of capital 'A' Apostolic ministry which ceased with the death of the last 'foundational' member of the church. Such miracles were confirmation of what God was doing, but were never intended to continue throughout church-history (and, they would argue, obviously didn't). Some cessationists even make use of the great 'love' chapter where it says that prophecies and tongues will cease.

Of course, cessationists have more than just a few verses to base their doctrine on. They point out that numerous writers in the early church said some cessationistic sounding things. They attempt to employ Clement of Rome, Justin Martyr, Origen, Chrysostum & Augustine for their cause, though most of the quotes refer specifically to the cessation of the gift of tongues moreso than healing.

Perhaps the main argument of the cessationists is common Christian experience. They would claim that most Christians can't pin-point a clear-cut healing miracle, and that the one's who claim they can are usually involved in some suspiciously over-charismatic group.

Just like I agree with the 'on demand' crowd to the degree that SOME people don't experience healing due to lack of faith, I also agree with the cessationists to the degree that I don't think God intends for miraculous healing to be as common today as it was during the ministry of Jesus and the Apostles. God does, in fact, seem to send miracles in bunches to accompany His more important spritual work (Matthew 9:1-8).

That being said, I disagree with a hardcore cessationist because the few verses they do point to don't really make their point. The love chapter says, to me, that the 'sign' gifts may cease in eternity, not that they ceased in the 1st century. Hebrews and Ephesians do indeed recognize the confirming and foundational aspect of 1st century miracles, but make no case for their cessation. The quoting of early church fathers doesn't persuade me since many other quotes can be found that support miraculous healing throughout church history. As for experience, I think miracles are rare. Otherwise we wouldn't call them miracles. But rare and non-existent are two different things. Luther, Calvin & John MacArthur can rightly be called cessationists, but they all believe(d) there are exceptions to the rule.

I believe that, in general, God does miracles to confirm spiritual progress being made. Thus, I believe that the miraculous gifts are more common in evangelistic efforts than in discipleship settings. And the reason isn't a lack of faith on the part of the already saved (at least not usually), but simply that the message has already been confirmed there.

2 comments:

Dena said...

I think I agree with you, Matt. Not either extreme, but middle road (how buddhist of us). I know people who testify to recieving healing miracles in their lives, and I believe them. I have no Scriptural or experiencial evidence to support cessation. But you definately don't see miracles everyday. And I have severe problems with the healing/prosperity-based-on-faith crowd. As a missionary how would I explain that view to entire nations dying of poverty and disease? Could I really believe there is not a single faithful Christian in the whole nation? I wouldn't dare try that, I'll leave it up to Benny Hinn.

matthew said...

thanks for the feedback. Sometimes taking the 'middle' position gets a bad-rap...but i tend to think the middle is right in more cases than not :)