Friday, March 09, 2007

No i in Church

I'm a regular reader of Keith Drury's 'Tuesday Column' and have read a couple of his past books (holiness for ordinary people, wonder of worship). "There is No I in Church" was the best book I've read from him so far. The book is simple and straight-forward, yet has the capacity to provoke powerful and effective returns. It will probably turn out to be one of the most impacting ministry resources on my shelf (and quite regularly, in my hands).

Drury's opening chapter sets the stage well, proving the biblical theme that God is most interested in community. He boldly states that those who reject the church cannot be considered Christian; that if you won't join the bride, you can't marry the groom. He then launches into the task at hand, the corporate disciplines that sanctify the bride. I'll provide some interesting quotes from each chapter:

Koinonia: It may be flawed, but the body of Christ is the best thing God has going on earth. In fact, it's the only thing.
Corporate Prayer: Why do we carefully prepare sermons and songs yet casually improvise what we say to God in prayer?
Scripture: While we protestants like to place our Bible's in a position of authority above that of the church, we have to admit that books of the Bible themselves owe their authority to the church, which selected them.
Moving of God: We expect little from God, and that is exactly what we get.
Testimony: Without doubt, professional ministers take a risk when they turn over the microphone to the laity. Yet we take an even greater risk, when we prevent lay people from reporting what God has done in their lives recently.
Lord's Supper: Many churches have found power in restoring the full meal in association with communion.
Conversion and Baptism: When people try to follow Jesus in secret, one of two things eventually happens. Either their following of Jesus eliminates their secrecy, or their secrecy eliminates their following of Christ.

2 comments:

theajthomas said...

I lead my small group this this a few months ago and it was awesome! Another great one from Wesley Press (words I never thought I would hear) is "More Than Forgiveness" by Steve DeNeff. Arguably the best book I have ever read.

Dena said...

I must say I'm not an avid reader of Drury, although I loved "The Wonder of Worship". Yet your overview of the book has left me wanting more (the goal of every preacher, I know). I would also echo the props to "More Than Forgiveness". I read and enjoyed it, and I think Elliott would say it's one if his favorites.

Quote from a great TV show, "there is no "I" in "team", but there is a "me" if you mess with the letters a little.