Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Day in the Life

I get a lot of emails asking, "what's the star of this blog REALLY like?" or "What would it be like to walk a typical day in Never Knews shoes?" In fact, I don't get any such emails and the following isn't super typical, but I'll post it anyways...for the fans.

12:01 am - After getting home from basketball later than usual (after 10), and watching a fast-forwarded edition of the Sabres 6-3 victory, I sign online with a taped American Idol playing in the background and my right knee all skinned up from diving on the gym floor.

2:03am - I'm startled that my 'smart-clock' (you know, the one that sets its own time) is of the opinion that it is 2:03am considering that 5 minutes previous it was only 12:58. Other clocks unite to assure me that smart-clock is in error. This has never happened before, but it reminds me that I have to wake up at 6:30am and actually, for once, need a reliable alarm clock.

1:04am - I unplug the smart-clock and plug it back in, to no avail. I rename it the dumb-clock and decide I'll just have to pull an all-nighter in order to make sure I leave the house on time.

2:03am again - I play some tetris. I don't allow myself to quit until I've gotten 100 or more lines. After a few failures due to impatience, I end up with 112 lines and turn the Nintendo off. I then realize that I could just change my alarm clock wake up time by an hour and everything would work out fine. I re-name myself 'dumb-jock' (you know, in contrast to 'dumb-clock').

2:08am - Unable to sleep, I watch an episode of Newsradio and then an episode of Joan of Arcadia and then listen to Steve Gregg's discussion of Romans chapter 1 with some internet surfing in between each.

5:30ish - I fall asleep

6:30am (or, in Smart-clock time, 7:30) - I wake up, get ready and drive to the church to meet Pastor Joe who then drives us to our monthly WNY District Pastor's meeting, talking about basketball along the way.

8:00am - We are quite early for the meeting, so I just stand around for a while. Then I run the PowerPoint for a few worship songs and listen to like an hours worth of announcements while I sip on orange juice. Eventually we have 'table-time,' but our groups discussion reminds me of the First Wives Club, even though I have never seen that.

11:40am - We head home, discussing some churchy stuff along the way.

1:30pm - I sorta fall asleep in my office chair for 5 minutes a few times while attempting to prepare a study of Romans 1:1-15 for my evening men's group. I eat some candy and finally make some progress, though I get distracted by an online discussion regarding oath taking.

4:08pm - I make a hospital run. First, I visit a 95 year old lady who is usually in a nursing home. She looks healthier at the hospital than she had looked in the previous month. Next I visit a great guy still suffering the aftermath of a 2002 stroke. We have a good time of prayer together.

4:59pm - I pick up some Chinese food. I haven't been in there very much lately because I got a speeding ticket (I realize that doesn't logically follow, but in my world, when you get a speeding ticket you have to skip 18 chinese take-outs to make up for it). I try a little Chinese, but I'm out of practice so I basically whisper it and the girl probably didn't even notice.

5:31pm - I did it again. I always eat too much Chinese food.

6:21pm - I am typing in the blank spaces for my Romans handout when a lady in the church comes in to discuss some serious subject matter. We talk for a while and I just hope my words were in some way helpful.

6:38pm - I print off my handout, make copies, and fill in my own blanks. But I don't feel quite as prepared as normal. Too late, though, as I hear the first guys arriving.

7:01pm - Men's group starts. 7 guys having a good time studying Romans 1. It goes fairly well, though I felt somewhat off. Lack of sleep, perhaps, was setting in.

8:46pm - I leave the church after locking up. I have to deliver a package to the home of the couple that leads our small groups. I stay a while chatting about that ministry.

9:17pm - Per request, I pick up toilet paper at the store. I'm feeling generous toward my family so I decide to get a gallon of milk as well.

9:31pm - I eat my remaining egg-roll with some chips and Mountain Dew and then re-commit to my no soda-pop decision, it being quite gross and all. Speaking of gross, I look at my knee and decide I should put some hydrogen peroxide on it. It stings. I tough it out.

10:06pm - After reading a little bit of Josh McDowell's book "The Last Christian Generation," which I am finding moderately disappointing, I tell my parents about the 'dumb-clock.' My dad, then, fixes 'dumb-clock' quite easily. I rename myself 'super-dumb-dork' ('jock' is changed to 'dork' since I obviously can't survive a basketball game without injury anyways).

11:48pm - While chatting, I finish typing this post. I feel super tired, but predict I'll fall asleep between 3-4am. Time to check facebook.

1 comment:

matthew said...

hey thanks and likewise