Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Wise Men (Pt. 4)

What is their message?

I've been taking a fairly technical look at all the different components of the Wise Men's great journey, but now I want to ask, why should we care? Why did Mary (presumedly) share the account with Matthew? Why did Matthew desire to share the account with others?

First, I think the story of the Magi shows the worldwide scope of this event. This wasn't just for the glory of Israel, but was also a light to the gentiles. It was the kind of story that impacted shepherds a few miles away AND wise men many miles away. Second, I think their visit was prophetic via their gifts. The gold, incense and myrrh predict the baby's kingship, priesthood & suffering. A third application I've made this year comes from our churches 'Chidlren's Christmas Play'. The main song ended with the line, 'Wise men still follow Him today' and made me think of what kind of wisdom I want to possess most. Do I want the wisdom of the world or the wisdom of the Kingdom? Do I want to follow the crowd or journey for Jesus?

2 comments:

matthew said...

I'm extremely tired every sunday night, but apparently i still am b/c i just re-read it and i only see 1 spelling error and didn't notice any grammatical one's.

ttyl :)

matthew said...

my high school taught me NOT to put a comma before an AND, so apparently that rule is negotiable.

the rest i do attribute to sunday tiredness. unless, of course, you have been compiling a huge list of errors all year?!?!