Friday, December 01, 2006

Ben Hur

Last night I tried to fall asleep before 1am, but to no avail. Around 3:00 I decided to put on one of my favorite all-time movies, "Ben Hur". Winner of 11 academy awards, the 1959 flic is ranked 72 on the AMC's all-time best movie's list. I've seen it between 5-10 times.

Some people hate re-making classic movies, but I would LOVE for someone to re-make Ben Hur. Not that this version isn't great (it is!), but I think a new version could create a whole new generation of fans of Wallace's great story. I mean, what's not to like? This story involves politics, religion & sex while showing the story of Christ from a unique vantage point!

They'd probably have to cut at least an hour off the movie (it's currently about 3 and half hours long!) and cast well, but it could be great! I liked the movie now more than ever.

Rating: 9.1
Status: Must tell others

6 comments:

Dena said...

I must say I've never watched Ben-Hur, but perhaps I should. By the way, if Ben-Hur, one of your "favourite all time movies" only gets a 9.1, then what gets a 10? Are there any movies worthy of that rating for you?

matthew said...

I've never seen a 'perfect' movie. My all-time favorite movie is Meet Joe Black and I gave it a 9.8

Shawshank Redemption got a 9.7

I don't I'll ever give a 10 :)

Mommy of Four said...

I LOVE Ben-Hur!!!!!

matthew said...

would you like to see a re-make Kayla?

Mommy of Four said...

I don't kmow...I'm really not one much for change...especially re-makes of songs/movies/ and books-turned to movies, because I notice every little thing that isn't "done right"...I know, I'm anal.

matthew said...

nah, i'm kind of like that too. i guess the reason i'd like to see a new ben hur is b/c i know most people in our generation won't sit and watch this version since it's 3.5 hours long. and i want our generation to enjoy this story :)