Monday, October 23, 2006

Funny Verses

Often, I'll read a verse in the Bible that will make me chuckle for one reason or another. I've always wanted to compile a list of such verses, but I never got around to it. But, by the power of my blog, I think I can accomplish this task with time. The list will be short at first, but as I re-read/remember funny verses I'll add them to this post:

Genesis 18:15
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, "I did not laugh." But he said, "Yes, you did laugh."

Luke 11:45
One of the experts in the law answered him, "Teacher, when you say these things, you insult us also."

John 8:48
The Jews answered him, "Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?"

Ecclesiastes 7:28
while I was still searching but not finding— I found one upright man among a thousand, but not one upright woman among them all.



Feel free to leave comments showing verses that you think are funny and why!
*thanks to steph i's blog for motivating me to do this

5 comments:

Jecca said...

Stick with me...this requires a bit of back story:

"Zechariah said to the angel, 'How can I know this will happen [John the Baptist born to him and Elizabeth]? I'm an old man now, and my wife is also well along in years.' Then the angel said, 'I am Gabriel! I stand in the very presence of God. It was he who sent me to bring you this good news! And now, since you didn't believe what I said, you won't be able to speak until the child is born." [...continued...]
"When the baby was eight days old, all the relatives and friends came for the circumcision ceremony. They wanted to name him Zechariah, after his father. But Elizabeth said, 'No! His name is John!' 'What?' they exclaimed. 'There is no one in all your family by that name.' So they asked the baby's father, ***communicating to him by making gestures.***"

-Luke 1:18-20; 59-62

Zechariah was not deaf. He was mute. But the people were communicating to him as if he could not hear them!

matthew said...

Haha, yes, I do remember noticing that when we were going thru that story. I pointed it out to my class as well :)

Yep, as far as we're told. He was only mute. People do sometimes act odd around people with disabilities!

S.I. said...

POST IDEA STEALER!!!

How 'bout this--(Ken Schenck showed me these:-)

KJV

1 Kings 16:11
"And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends."

That'll teach ya to quit peeing on the wall!

matthew said...

Hey, i gave you credit, even if it was tiny! :)

That's a funny one! I'm glad the list is getting longer

Anonymous said...

Amos 4:4

"Go to Bethel and sin;---"

My father told me it was a standing joke around his alma mater, Bethel College of Mishawaka Indiana.

The longer you spend time with Him, the more inside jokes He reveals.