Sunday, September 24, 2006

Servants of God

*The following is a fictional dialogue
from "Disciple" by Juan Carlos Ortiz

I want this pearl. How much is it?
Well, it's very expensive
But how much?
Well, a very large amount
Do you think I could buy it?
Oh, of course. Everyone can buy it
But didn't you say it was expensive?
Yes
Well, how much is it?
Everything you have
All right, I'll buy it
Well, what do you have? Let's write it down
Well, I have $10,000 in the bank
Good. $10,000. What else?
That's all. That's all I have.
Nothing more?
Well, I have a few dollars here in my pocket
How much?
Well, let's see..30..40..60..80..100...$120
That's fine. What else do you have?
Well nothing. That's all.
Where do you live?
In my house. Yes, I have a house.
The house too then
You mean I have to live in my camper?
You have a camper? That too. What else?
I'll have to sleep in my car!
You have a car?
Two of them
Both become mine, both cars. What else?
What more do you want!?!?
Are you alone in this world?
No, I have a wife and two children
Oh yes, your wife and children too. What else?
I have nothing left! I am left alone now
Oh, I almost forgot. You yourself too! Everything becomes mine- wife, children, house, money, cars, and you too. Now listen- I will allow you to use all these things for the time being. But don't forget that they are mine, just as you are. And whenever I need any of them you must give them up, because I am the owner.

4 comments:

Jo said...

i like this.

Dena said...

Very good, I enjoy. We all need this reminder.

Maki said...

Interesting!!
This English is not too difficult for me:)
I enjoyed!

matthew said...

Yes, the author is from South America...so his english is simple. I like his book very much.