Monday, September 18, 2006

Favorite 5

I'm currently teaching through the Life of Solomon. Instead of teaching through the entire book of Proverbs (we did that about 2 years ago), I asked people to share their favorite Proverbs. And then I, using pastor's privilege, shared my top 10. But because blog readers like abbreviations of abbreviations, I'll just post my favorite five:

They would have none of my counsel
and despised my every rebuke.
Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way,
and be filled to the full with their own fancies

In the multitude of words sin is not lacking,
but he who restrains his lips is wise.

Do not let your heart envy sinners,
but be zealous for the fear of the LORD all the day;
For surely there is a hereafter,
and your hope will not be cut off.

If you say, “Surely we did not know this,”
Does not He who weighs the hearts consider it?
He who keeps your soul, does He not know it?
And will He not render to each man according to his deeds?

A fool vents all his feelings, but a wise man holds them back

What's your favorite Proverb?

3 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

what do you say about solomon's military exports and using slaves to build the temple?

solomon and joseph are pretty similar to me in some ways.

matthew said...

haha, I almost expected you to bring that up :)

I have taught pretty strongly against Solomon's practices, but I guess I still disagree with the comparison for the most part. But as I noted in our previous interaction on this subject, I don't disagree with your point, only that Joseph is a good illustration of it.

matthew said...

yes

jk

that might be another thing to blog soon, verses that make us chuckle