Sunday, June 11, 2006

Eternal Torment

It seems a vast majority of evangelicals believe that those who are unsaved when they die will face an eternity of torment. In other words, they will suffer for their sins forever. Where evangelicals debate is what hell will be like. Will there be a literal fire? Will there be literal darkness? How can there be a literal fire and literal darkness at the same time? And so on.

But, in history, this is not where the debate was at. In the early centuries of Christianity, there were 3 strongly supported views regarding the future (or lack thereof) for the unsaved: Universalism, Annihilationism, & the Eternal Torment view. Since the latter is so firmly established in most minds, it's probably necessary to point out some of the problems with this view before expecting people to seriously consider any alternatives.

Problems with the 'Eternal Torment' View
It's based on a few passages in symbolic parts of Scripture
God didn't warn Adam & Eve of eternal torment
The Bible nowhere claims that unsaved people live forever
Many feel this view doesn't match with God's love
For some, the punishment seems to outweigh the crime


Feel free to defend the eternal torment view or debate the above 5 points. I am undecided on this issue (though I have my leanings). Over the next 2 days I will describe some of the key arguments for universalism & annihilationism.

2 comments:

Benson said...

"I am undecided on this issue."

I think I could quote you on one of my posts as taking the annihilationism stance...Yes?

I love to speak to this one...but right now I don't have the time...If I get freed up, I will write.

ADB

matthew said...

I'll quote myself for you

From your blog comments...

"I am quite open to some of the early church positions regarding annihilationism or ultimate universalism"

and later...

"Frankly, I'm very 'open' to annihilationism which would, in my mind, render open theism completely un-necessary"

I'm unaware of any time I have ever said I'm annihilationist. Frankly, It wouldn't make sense for me to say such a thing since I am honestly undecided :)