Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Top 9 Photos

For those of you who were overwhelmed by the length of the last post, here are some pics with brief commentary.
Our team leader Fran went 2 weeks earlier and took these 3 Chinese as translators to minister at an orphanage and a handicapped facility. All 3 have powerful testimonies.

I didn't actually go to the Great Wall this year, but some other members of our team did. I figure any trip to China has to include pics of the Great Wall.

These are some of the people we met in Chengdu. The young girl on the left had lots of questions about Christianity and the one on the right (her aunt) is a very joyful Christian woman.

While the girls were visiting the Pandas, I met with this guy. We had a great 3 hour discussion, through a translator, about whether Christianity was unique or just another religion. Then we were left alone and he helped me learn a Chinese song!

This is the girls room. Fran and I stayed in a similar room. It is actually a future classroom. The only problem was it was on the 5th flood and the ladies weren't big fans of that fact.

This pic has 6 of the 10 Chinese English teachers. I couldn't find a pic with all 10. They were all great to work with. From left to right. Mr. Feng asked lots of questions about the nature of the church. Mr. Du I didn't get to know very well. I'm me. Mr. Pu is probably the closest to the Kingdom among the teachers. Huang Bin is just starting to open up after 3 years. He Xia I'll talk about with the next pic. Fran. Patricia. Bird is my best friend in China, he's especially funny when he imitates Bryan Adams. Lorraine.

In past years I became good friends with Bird and Mr. Pu. This year I developed good friendships with He Xia and Xian Hua Li. I communicated to He Xie on paper because it was much faster. I shared my testimony and she was eager to learn more about Christianity. Xian Hua Li shared with me one night about some sadness in her life and we became very good friends after that.

If I'm allowed to pick a favorite student, this is her. She was so cute and she always volunteered to try out her English speaking skills. She instantly smiles when you look at her and then you find yourself smiling.

The school celebrated their 50th anniversary while we were there. Many alumni came and we were able to share the Gospel with some of them. At night the students put on a program for us and we sang 2 chinese songs for them. Great night all around. The next morning we headed towards home.

4 comments:

Jo said...

i like pics. they are worth a thousand words. i was wondering though, is it safe for these chinese christians to have their pics posted on the www and then be labeled 'christian'? i mean, it IS illegal in a communist country---I was just wondering if they would not be worried about their anonymity....???

matthew said...

Good question. It should be remembered that being a Christian is not illegal in China. Almost every Christian church in China is packed every Sunday. Also, I have not posted names. Thirdly, Blogger is blocked in China.

Jo said...

i didn't know that about china. i forgot about blogger being blocked there too. anyway, thanks for the education.

matthew said...

if blogger wasn't blocked in china. I would get a ton more hits on this page!

as for the legality of Christianity in China, there are really 2 types of churches. The three self church is a legal government monitored church. their services are strikingly similar to a traditional worship service here in america. the house church movement really cannot be stopped b/c it's just friends and family meeting together in their homes. It is illegal but impossible to eliminate.

In my observation, there are many very serious Christians in both churches.