Sunday, February 26, 2006

Famine Top 10

My Top 10 Highlights from the 30hr Famine

Over 100 Teens: It was awesome to see so many teens worshipping, listening, playing around, smelling, not eating, etc.

Unity: 4 or 5 youth groups were represented. That's 1 reason I love this event, it brings different churches together.

Over 43 Hours: I forgot to eat breakfast & lunch prior to the famine (totally by accident), so I actually went 43 hours.

My Own Room: My only condition for spending the night was that I get my own room. I just can't take the smell. I'm not a youth pastor.

Evangelism: The theme for the weekend was evangelism. All the devotionals & Bible studies were done really well and lots of kids made commitments.

Devotional: My devotional was based on CS Lewis's legend/lunatic/liar/Lord scenario, but with an emphasis on actions instead of just saying 'Lord, Lord'

Diana Davis: There was a girl (must have been the leader of another youth group) that looked and acted just like Diana Davis.

Basketball: I was the ref for a 3-on-3 basketball tourny. It was real fun. The winning team was named 'Ted Nugent'

Hair-Shaved: I had made a bet that the teens couldn't raise $3500 and if they did I'd shave the top of my head, but not the sides. I lost.

$4500 +: There's still some money coming in so they may reach $5000 or so. 2 of our teens raised like $500 on 1 particular Sunday by going door to door offering people the chance to crack eggs over their heads!

11 comments:

Elliott Innes said...

Um, Picture of the shaeved head please!

Anonymous said...

um, yea, you HAVE to put up a picture of your shaved head

matthew said...

some people at church took pics, the only pic i have is pretty dark, but i'll post it

Elizabeth said...

I'm not even trying not to laugh. that is pretty funny!

matthew said...

i think it looked pretty cool, so you'll have to laugh at me

i actually doubt the hair thing had much to do with the $ they raised, the event was just super well organized. the girl at our church that plans these things is like a youth event guru

Elliott Innes said...

Okay, I know this is my second comment on this post, but I've got to say... Matthew... I'm just dissapointed. You know how many people read your blog. If you had mentioned this (maybe you did and I just came in late in the game, if so, sorry) on the blog, you'd hav raised millions! All of of us would have been searching under cushions and selling stuff just to find cash to put towards you getting shaved... I mean... suchh a worthy cause.

Anonymous said...

You look like a Jedi warrior. I think you should keep it like that Matt...

Jan said...

I dont know if it's b/c i am his mom or what but the "Jedi Warrior" look is not a keeper to me ;-) and I think Matthew's blog is one of the most interesting and multifaceted blogs ever :-).plus, I think he is adorable!!!!

matthew said...

you think therefore i am

Sarah said...

Wow Matt...wow. LOL. You're a brave man. Glad to hear your teens went all out for the event. Thanks for sharing...especially the pic!

Katie said...

Right now I have $4,659, and the church from Buffalo is sending me around $70 more this week.. that means our kids raised over $4,700!!!

(Elliott Innes.... I think next year we might have to try that method for money raising! What should I make our goal, $6,000?)

Oh the ideas!!

~The youth event guru