Thursday, February 16, 2006

Current Studies

I'm currently teaching 4 hours/week and making good progress in my life's goal of teaching through Scripture 3 times. I believe I'm right around 20% through phase 1. Here is what I'm teaching through currently:

1. Sunday Morning. We are in week 21 of a 24 week series on Paul's letter to the Galatians. I'm not sure why this Sunday School class has grown so much. We were a class of 4-5 most weeks, but for the last 6 we've been averaging 14. My guess is it's b/c the 'fruit of the Spirit' passage is just super practical.

2. Sunday Nights. We are in week 7 of probably a 16 week series through the parables. We discuss 1-2 parables each week for just over an hour. Attendance is usually close to 30.

3. Wednesday Nights. We are in week 11 of a 15 week series through the letter to the Hebrews. I have personally found this to be a great study. Our Wednesday nights are divided into 2 groups. One group prays the entire hour. The other group does a 30 minute Bible study and then prays. Combined attendance is usually about 20.

4. Thursday Nights. We are in week 16 of what will probably end up being a 30 week series on the book of Genesis. This is my men's group which is usually 7 or so guys. We take 1-2 chapters a week and end with Wesley's accountability questions.

2 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

i will guess that the teacher has something to do with the increase in attendance ;)

matthew said...

well thanks ap

it is strange, though, that the first half of galatians provoked attendance of 5 and the second half attendance of 15. i doubt i changed much.

it could be that people made resolutions about sunday school b/c the attendance jumped up by 14 people after the 1st of the year!