Friday, February 24, 2006

Church 'Stuff'

We cleaned out a closet* at church last night. It's amazing what kind of stuff accumulates at a church b/c few are willing to throw anything out.
Tons of sheet music from the mid 20th century
Old floor-boards with nails in them
Books about proper etiquette for girls in the workplace
Old sermon tapes
Broken and/or out-dated electrical equipment
The sad thing is, we didn't end up throwing it out either! We just moved it up to the attic. Granted, if it were just me** there, it would have seen the dumpster.

*technically, it's a 'choir room', but we don't have a choir. In fact, our building is about 13 years old and we've never really had a choir in that time. We've never had ANY singers use that room, but maybe that's b/c it was full of junk.
**If you have trouble letting go of junk, call me up. I love throwing other people's stuff away.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I understand about a church not throwing anything away. Last year, while I was on internship I had to clean out what was once a library and the pastor wanted me to keep certain books but if they were to out dated to throw them away. It was a lot of fun. I enjoy doing stuff like that.
But then the church I attended in Michigan the old pastor there would go to the exterme and throw EVERYTHING away. SO I mean you have some churches who throw nothing and then some who throw everything.

Heather Durkee said...

That sounds like faith wesleyan.

Our church is in the process of moving so I am sure things will get chucked or donated.

I am an anti-clutter person so I can very easily get rid of stuff. Except my BBC school notes and resources. For some reason I feel because I paid for the education that I should keep it. Every move Adam says get rid of it, but for some reason i can't. But yet he has these extra computer parts that we "might just need some day." Its a good thing we have a storage closet off our apt. deck...

Elizabeth said...

come to my parents home in August (thats when i get back) i still have boxes of stuff to throw out