Friday, January 20, 2006

Cancer

There's a big difference between a theological discussion regarding the problem of pain and finding out someone you know is experiencing the problem of pain. In the former context, I believe I can communicate some insightful points that make logical sense. But in the latter situation I often feel unable to say the right words or communicate the proper silence. There's an art to silence in such situations. It's warm. I don't feel very warm. Sometimes I don't feel much at all. Maybe someday I will.

Until then, I just pray. The best crisis ministry I have done is prayer. Crisis prayer is a mixture of words and silence. The words are trembly. The silence may be awkward. The whole thing is broken. Just like the situation. Just like real life. Just like death.

And maybe as I continue to grow in brokenness, the great divide between my theological argument and my practical application will continue to narrow.

3 comments:

me said...

lets try this again...
I understand your pain/frustration. My mother got really sick my freshman year of college. I'm not home and don't want to be like everyone who asks her how she is. My sister lives it everyday and so I usually just ask her. Its tough not knowing what to say and having this ongoing awkward silence that is broken only once or twice a year when I actually really ask her how she is. She is doing a lot better now, and most days I forget that she is sick.

As a side note I have another blog, but don't want to let my entire African audience know about. So Heidi B2= http://heidimaria.blogspot.com/

JHW said...

Matt,

That is a good distinction to be aware of. By God's grace the gap will narrow.

I've noticed that in the area of apologetics and answering people's objections to the faith, it is often hard to determine whether they really need an argument or a hug. I am becoming more convinced that much of what some people claim to believe is related to their psychological desire for attachment to a ideological community or attack on another. It is not fair to lay that on everyone but I have found it to be common.

matthew said...

Heidi...thanks for commenting. I am glad your mom is doing better and added your 2nd link.

Joseph...I have noticed the same thing. it's actually a good question. Who's in a better position to 'do theology'. An outsider with Scripture alone in hand? Or an insider with some verses floating in their head as they sit by a hospital bed?

I think it's best to work on our theology apart from a specific scenario, but at the same time I don't think one's theology will go very deep w/o experiencing such a scenario.