Saturday, October 15, 2005

The New Canon

Part of the criteria for identifying the Canon of Scripture was popular usage. This caused me to question, what if that same criteria was used to form a contemporary 'canon' for the church. What books/media would be selected as 'Scripture' on these grounds?

Here's my best guess:

Genesis- This book still gets read quite a bit for 2 reasons. First, the creation/evolution debate. Second, most people who decide to read through the Bible in a year make it this far. The Prince of Egypt- In the spirit of Costanza, the 'through the Bible' crew rents the movie instead. Joshua 'A modern day parable- Hey, it's got the same name as a book in the old Bible, so we'll take it. 23rd Psalm- That should cover it. 150 hardly seems necessary. New Proverbs- This would be a collection of quotes from Bright, Hybels, Dobson, Warren, Graham, Lewis, etc. Heck, we'll even retain a few from Solomon. Daniel- I think people still read this one because it's full of excitement, but short on chapters. Plus, we've gotta read at least 1 of the prophets so we understand the genre. The Jesus Film- Why read 4 books when you can watch 1 movie? The Passion- The most important week in history is worthy of Hollywood treatment! Romans- Just in case theology is important. The Purpose Driven Life- This could replace the rest of those Epistle things. Each chapter is like a letter to contemporary Christians. Mere Christianity- For those who finish 40 days of purpose wanting more! The Left Behind Series- We love our eschatology. And what better place to get it?

This gives us 12 books for the New Bible. Just like the tribes of Israel or the number of disciples! Surely this is an inspired list!

8 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

too funny...too true.

Heather Durkee said...

This is really creative and funny. It was very logical in my brain!

Sarah Gomez said...

funny, true... and quite sad!!!

BTW, I am also quite sad that i lost my position as the top link on your bethany blog list. I'm falling down in ranks :( (At least if it were by FIRST name, I'd be CLOSE to the top!)

Jo said...

clever.

matthew said...

Sorry Sarah, I decided to organize a lil bit at your expense :(

If it makes you feel any better, 47 is one of my favorite numbers! Perhaps on your birthday I'll put a special link to your blog at the top.

Sarah Gomez said...

47 is also the favourite number of the Alliance in Alias. They use it for EVERYTHING. I'm happy to be used there I guess.. If I can't be on top, I might as well be the favourite number of the enemy.

Sarah Gomez said...

(and by FIRST name in my original post, I actually meant LAST)

matthew said...

no worries

i always assume you mean the opposite of what you say