Saturday, July 02, 2005

Adventures

When minds don't interact with the world, they deteriorate

This is a truth I've learned via nursing home ministry. The less one encounters the world, the less one can communicate with that world. The sad reality, however, is that I've only been applying this truth to old ladies in nursing homes, when it applies equally to me.

In the past 6 months I've become increasingly forgetful. For example, I've forgotten to zip up my pants more in 2005 than all other years combined. I find myself stuttering through lyrics to songs I've known for years. I'm starting to have trouble expressing myself well without lengthy preparation. One Sunday I only shaved half my face (luckily I got to church early enough to finish the job).

I think I have the same problem as an old lady in a nursing home. My life is extremely routine. There's no adventure. I rarely even go outside. The only difference is I've chosen this lifestyle and they haven't. Shame on me.

Who can help?

No comments: