Friday, May 27, 2005

Super Natural Disasters

After an earthquake, hurricane, or tsunami....the question gets asked...Did God do that?

While I don't think God directly causes each natural disaster, I believe He once judged the entire world through the flood, and the natural consequences of that divine judgment are still felt today in many ways.

I am a young earth creationist. That simply means I believe God built the universe in less than a literal week. It also means I believe the flood was worldwide, not local. I have a friend who's a geologist. He confirmed to me that in a young earth creationist construct, most natural disasters are the lingering effect of Noah's flood.

Maybe instead of trying to figure out whether each individual disaster was a judgment from God, we should consider that idea that most/all disasters are simply a frail creation still trying to recover from God's wrath in Noah's day.

No comments: