Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Pocket Guide

I’m currently in the middle of teaching a chapter/chapter study on the book of Revelation. A Pocket Guide to The Apocalypse by Jason Boyett was my half-time entertainment. Boyett’s satire stings like an apocalyptic locust, but this book is worth more than holy laughter. It’s noticeably well researched. I’ve been buried in books on this subject and I could tell that Jason did his homework. There were a few things I would have liked for him to expand on…but it’s a pocket guide, not an encyclopedia.

I’m recommending this book to two groups of people: First, anyone wanting a really light introduction to eschatology would benefit from its information. It contains a glossary, good overviews of the various positions, and a great history lesson on why we shouldn’t be too confident in our end-times chronologies. Second, anyone that already knows the issues well would be best equipped to appreciate all the humor (even the footnotes are funny). This was the funniest Christian book I’ve read since The Mantra of Jabez. Posted by Hello

No comments: