Saturday, May 07, 2005

The Gods Must Be Crazy

For a couple movies with sometimes annoying voice-overs, kinda cheesy slapstick, and some cheap special effects The Gods Must Be Crazy and The Gods Must Be Crazy II were surprisingly entertaining, funny, and heart-warming.

In the first movie, a coke bottle is dropped from a plane and found by the Bushman of the Kalahari. At first the Bushman are amazed by the bottle, but they eventually decide it is evil and must be thrown off the end of the earth. The movie is basically about that journey.

I figured the sequel would be pretty dumb, but I think I liked it even better. The plot for part II is a couple of lost Kalahari kids. They get stuck on the back of a strange animal (a truck) and driven away from their father. His race to find his children is slowed by the 'civilized' people he meets on the way.

N!xau, a genuine San (Bushman) from the Kalahari is the one that makes these films great. It would have been dumb to have someone 'act' this part. I also find it funny that, while he was only paid a few hundred dollars for his role in part I, he held out for over half a million before agreeing to be in the sequel.

Rating: 8.6
Status: Must Own

8 comments:

admin said...

I never saw that one.

matthew said...

Thanks for visiting Sir

Jo said...

i saw this movie in jr. high. i remember being very amused and laughing a lot....

dorna! said...

Thanks for the memories. I love those two movies. Hmm, now I have to go track down copies.

matthew said...

Good luck....my friend got them for like a buck in China...I looked on amazon and they were 15 each!

Anonymous said...

I thought this is already such an old movie, i watched it like 10 years ago? Wah, still got ppl want to watch.

matthew said...

Yeah...they're old, but I'd never seen them till last week :)

matthew said...

even number of comments