Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Parable Tuesday

I remember at Bethany, I would occasionally go to the hockey games to 'boooooo' the Blazers and cheer for the opposing team...just to be a jerk. I received some playful punches, but my life was never in doubt.

Tuesday morning Jesus and His entourage entered the temple courts once again and Jesus began to 'boooooo' the hometown team. And I don't think His life was in jeopardy either. They were certainly going to kill Him. They'd been planning it for a long time.

The parables He spoke that day were unmistakable 'boooooos' directed toward the team of Jewish leaders. These were the most final and serious 'boooooos' in history. When He finished the three stories, 'they looked for a way to arrest him because they knew he had spoken the parable against them.'

Before leaving the temple, Jesus delivered a scathing rebuke of the religious leaders. He called them hypocrites, blind guides, blind fools, whitewashed tombs, snakes, and a brood of vipers. But then He did something that sets Him apart from all others. He grieved over them.

Jesus had the perfect balance of judgment and compassion. Maybe that's why on the cross three days later He could utter the amazing words, 'Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.' He prayed compassionately for His killers as He was dying for the sins He knew were utterly serious.

4 comments:

Heather Durkee said...

The serious, pastoral side of Matthew Rose. Awe...how cute!(not as cute as my husband) hehe

Jan said...

Mmmm, I dont know...Pastor Matt is pretty cute...

matthew said...

I think I'm going to ban my mom from posting

Aaron Perry said...

you booed the blazers? i now want to fight you. peace!