Wednesday, February 09, 2005

After the Song

This is another song I wrote a while ago. I was reading through Psalm 106 and thinking a lot about how worship is so much more than just singing a song. Worship is about how we live 'after the song'

verse 1
Led through the depths
As through a desert
Saved from the hand
Of the enemy
Waters covered up
Their adversaries
And they were redeemed

refrain

Then they believed His promises
They sang His praise
But what went wrong after the song?

verse 2
The people stood by
Waiting for Moses
To come from the mount
Of consuming fire
But they did not wait
They made a god of gold
The shape that they desired
“Not the sound of victory
Not the sound of defeat
But the sound of singing I hear”

refrain
Then they danced to their idol
They sang its praise
But what went wrong after the song?

Verse 3
There’s two songs to sing
but one we neglect
One to the God of all
One to a gods we erect
Why worship a god
That can’t rule the day
In the midst of the storm
Has nothing to say
But the one we forget
Deserves our devotion
A response to the divine
Mind, will, and emotion

refrain

So we’ll believe His promises
We’ll sing His praise
And worship long after the song

2 comments:

Jo said...

i like verse three the most. write on.

matthew said...

Thanks Jo :) I am going to be posting songs for a week or so that if my computer ever explodes, they'll be backed up on my blog. Once all the one's I like are on here, I'm also going to have a link on the sidebar with a clickable list of all of them.