Saturday, January 22, 2005

Authority

Thursday I posted about the first of two lessons God had for me at the monthly pastor's meeting. Tonight I'd like to discuss the second lesson...on the topic of the authority of the pastor.

One thing I really feel is lacking in churches today is true accountability and discipline. When people become a member of a church, they agree to behave in specific ways. But when they don't really behave in those ways, nothing happens (unless it's pretty drastic). I'll admit, some of the commitments probably aren't incredibly meaningful...but that's not really the point.

I don't know if pastor's are just afraid to exercise their spiritual authority or what. Maybe they're afraid of being viewed as a bully. Certainly spiritual authority has been misused many times in churches, but we seem to have gone to the opposite extreme. Membership basically means nothing (maybe that's why so many younger people think we should just get rid of it).

In the past month I've realized that I am not really nervous at all when preaching/teaching... but I feel incredibly nervous to exercise authority. I almost shake when I sense that I have to rebuke a person or group. But as I read Scripture church leadership is commanded to exercise the authority God has given them.

I have some more thinking to do on this subject.

No comments: