Thursday, December 16, 2004

Nursing Home Ministry

Sometimes I wonder if there's anything I do that is as much like Jesus as when I visit old ladies in nursing homes. Okay, that sentance was long and probably could have been worded much better. But I really believe nursing home ministry is very near to the heart of God.

Today I was at a nursing home to visit three people.

The first is a fairly new permanent resident to the nursing home. She is pretty sharp still. I'm always humbled and amazed by how much she loves a simple visit, a Christmas card, a short prayer of blessing.

The second lady is actually my Great Aunt. I didn't really even know her until I realized she was a couple rooms down from the first lady. She's actually pretty young, but her mind is not very good. She thinks her husband is dead (he's not). She thinks she's going back to her home soon (she's not) and today she was convinced that the staff stole her chair (maybe they did). When I visit her I usually stay for 15 minutes. We have the same conversation 3 times. At the end of each segment, she tells me I'm 'a beautiful girl...boy' and I smile that my masculinity is still somewhat convincing.' She's very lonely and bored. Today, in an unexpected break from the circular conversation, she told me that sometimes she just wished she'd die. All I could say was that I'd miss visiting her. And she cried and gave me a hug.

The third lady is 85 (I think) and very very sharp. She's only at the nursing home to rehab from a broken wrist. She's a strong willed lady with a great testimony. She was telling me that she believes God has one more lesson for her to learn, and she's anxious to find out what it is.

I always feel weird while I'm making my exit from a nursing home room while the old ladies tell me how much they appreciate my visits. All I really did was sit there for a half hour or so. But then I realize that it's really Jesus speaking through them, reminding me that this is what love is all about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing great work, but did you actually write this sentence: "Sometimes I wonder if there's anything I do that is as much like Jesus as when I visit old ladies in nursing homes." Seriously - comparing yourself to someone you accept as the son of God?

matthew said...

We're told to be like Him :)

There's a big difference b/w trying to do what He would do and trying to think you're who He is

Thanks for the comment

matthew said...

Hey Kari....a nursing home must be like a vacation spot for you since none of them have real teeth! j/k

matthew said...

She's faced a lot of difficulties in life in terms of her marriage, children, and health....but I try not to get too specific about other people's personal lives on my blog.