Thursday, November 11, 2004

Jesus Among Other Gods

I just finished reading a great book by Ravi Zacharias entitled Jesus Among Other Gods. Here are my favorite quotes in the order in which they appeared...

10. “I came to Him because I did not know which way to turn. I have remained with Him because there is no other way I wish to turn. I came to Him longing for something I did not have. I remain with Him because I have something I will not trade. I came to Him as a stranger. I remain with Him in the most intimate of friendships. I came to Him unsure about the future. I remain with Him certain about my destiny. I came amid the thunderous cries of a culture that has three hundred and thirty million deities. I remain with Him knowing that truth cannot be all-inclusive. Truth by definition excludes.”

9. “Purpose is to life what the skeleton is to the body.”

8. “I believe that what has actually happened is a cutting of the nerve of spirituality at the neck, so that it never filters down to the heart, hands, and feet. Life is lived out in self-contained compartments with nothing to connect them. Such is the amputation of religion that pays homage to God but would be the most surprised if God were ever to show up.”

7. “Jesus declares that wisdom reveals itself by what it produces. It does not take more than one look at our society to see the utter absence of wisdom. Jesus was not hesitant to call their bluff, as He does ours.”

6. "He did not just proclaim the truth. He said, ‘I am the truth.’ He did not just show the way. He said ‘I am the way.’ He did not just open up vistas. He said, ‘I am the door.’ ‘I am the Good Shepherd.’ ‘I am the resurrection and the life.’ ‘I am that I AM.’

5. “Teaching is like a mirror. It can show you if your face is dirty, but the mirror will not wash your face.”

4. “The task of the church is not so much to make God relevant to the people as much as it is to make people relevant to God.”

3. “It is implied that many people believe in God only because of the context of their birth or family or determined conditions. If the criticism is justified, and undoubtedly it sometimes is, why do we not show the same distrust of secondhand doubt?”

2. “We see the symbol of the cross on necklaces and on church steeples so often that we have no concept of what it meant and accomplished. In fact, if it were truly expounded upon, we would take offense at the preacher.”

1. “Oh! For an unambiguous sense of safety in a lasting home.”

2 comments:

Fin said...

Aaah. It's nice to see that someone ELSE likes Thomas Newman and the films he's worked on.

I only found out the other day that he did "Finding Nemo". I thought so...

matthew said...

Yeah, Thomas Newman is awesome

I have his...Meet Joe Black, Shawshank Redemption, and Road to Perdition CD's. Great stuff.