Thursday, October 21, 2004

Prison Cell Phones

My title is supposed to be like one of those 'before and after' dealios from Wheel-of-Fortune. I hate cell phones. I think they have dramatically and negatively impacted American society.

Earlier this week I read that some big churches are now installing cell phone blockers in their worship centers in order to prevent the tune 'Oh when the saints' from marching its way into prayer time. As the week went on I watched baseball constantly. And what did I see? Fans who had paid hundreds of dollars to watch a great baseball game...not watching a great baseball game. Instead they were talking on their cell phones waiting to get on television. When I discuss my hatred for cell phones with people they usually mention how important they are in case of an emergency. Ummm.....what did people do the other 7,000 years of history?

The only good thing to come from the cell phone craze is we all get to see a lot more of Catherine Zeta Jones on TV. The negatives are far more numerous and important. People walk past eachother now w/o even looking b/c they're so engrossed in their vital conversation. 'Can you hear me?.....I just got done shopping....I'm coming home now....I'm in the parking lot.'

Cell phone advocates seem to relish the fact that they can be reached at any time. THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING. People need to be free from that always possible interruption. Do yourself a favor, cancel your wireless plan and get out of the Prison Cell Phones.

2 comments:

matthew said...

Oh no....blogs already have SPAM?

Anonymous said...

What I hate about cell-phones is I can be talking to someone sitting right next to me and they give me a dirty look because I don't notice they're on a stupid cell phone. Too impersonal. Too many people can't read or write proper English because they don't have to.