Thursday, November 16, 2006

Time Travel

I don't believe it's possible to travel in time because I believe that only the present currently exists. I do think, however, that it is theoretically possible to view the past 'live', so to speak. For instance, when we see a star explode, or whatnot, we're actually viewing an event that happened in the past. The only reason we see it in the present is because it took a while for the light rays to reach us.

Now imagine we could travel faster than the speed of light. And imagine we had a telescope powerful enough to zoom up on individuals from lightyears away. If we had the technology to travel that far and zoom that much, then we could 'beat' the light rights of, say, the atomic bomb of 1945 to a certain spot in space. Right?

I'm not a scientist by any means, but I'm guessing we'd be limited to major events (like atomic bombs) because the event would have had to produce light powerful enough to escape the pull of the earth and reach beyond its atmosphere. We couldn't, for instance, figure out exactly where the shot that killed JFK came from because the light from a gun isn't powerful enough to escape into space. It'd have to be something that was/is visible from space. Or, perhaps, I have no idea what I'm talking about!

6 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

Only the present currently exists, is your take? Let me ask a question of foreknowledge: If the future does not "exist" in some sense, is it possible to be known?

Kirk said...

Good insight on the past. I think I will call this insight "the Theory of Relativity" You've become quite the Einstein. To Aaron yes it is possible to be known how else do you explain fortune tellers? Duh!!

matthew said...

haha, yeah, i'm not claiming to be taking any new ground here. just actually walking on ground that has been taken :)

and, aaron, I didn't think i could slip that first statement by everyone :) I am not 'certain' that only the present currently exists. I was more saying that I don't think mankind 'under the sun' is capable of time travel via technology.

I take no dogmatic position about God's relationship to time at this point.

What do you think?

Aaron Perry said...

time travel is theoretically possible in that we can travel at speeds at which time slows down. so, you could live x amount of years at hte speed of light but have had x+y years pass by for those not at the speed of light. this develops easily from einstein's special theory of relativity. (Time and space are relative, not absolute, and can be slowed/shrunk.)

i believe God is time-full. all of time is found in God and the "edges" with which God touches time and experiences time in ways similar to us are his Son and Spirit. that's my current view.

matthew said...

yes, that's the kind of time travel i was referring to. the kind that i said i don't believe in is what we see on movies/tv usually which involves sitting on a machine and pushing rewind or fast forward :)

Kirk said...

And don't forget 88 miles an hour, a flux capacitor and a Delorean.