Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Apocalypse Code

On my trip I read 2 books, the first of which was Hank Hanegraaff's 'The Apocalypse Code.' I had been waiting for this book to come out for quite some time since I am interested in eschatology and I knew that Hank (of 'The Bible Answer Man' fame) had arrived at conclusions quite similar to my own. I started reading the book at the Buffalo airport and quickly realized I had forgotten to bring a pen or pencil to underline with. Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for Hank, I didn't really need one.

It's not that the book is bad. I liked it and agreed with just about everything he said. The problem was that the book doesn't really have a core audience. He skips from verse to verse too quickly for anyone beginning a study of eschatology and says too little about anything for anyone well read in such matters. It turns out, the book really isn't about eschatology so much as it is about methods of interpreting God's Word. The 'illustration' of his method primarily utilizes Revelation, but I feel that choice isn't the best place to teach basic principles of hermeneutics.

That being said, I like the acrostic (L.I.G.H.T.S.) he uses as the basis for the book. Hank describes and illustrates the Literal, Illumination, Grammatical, Historical, Typology & Scriptural Synergy principles used to correctly interpret the Bible. All in all, I'm not sorry I bought the book, but I also don't regret not having a writing utensil.

No comments: