Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Fishermen

I used to write songs after my time-alone-with-God. The songs were based on the passage of Scripture I had been reading. Below is one such song:



Verse 1
The fishermen launch out to sea
One more time out to the deep
They let their nets down wishing still
They’d come back up completely filled
The two crews start to pull their sides
This is their last try for tonight
They squint to see just what they’ve caught
But find that it’s been all for not

Chorus
Trust in me
And you will succeed
The night is not yet over
Let down your nets and trust in me

Verse 2
The fishermen came to the shore
A wasted day their bodies sore
The Lord walked by and saw their boat
And noticed they had no more hope
He sat and taught the many men
He said let down your nets again
They told him how they’d tried all night
And so far nothing had gone right

Repeat Chorus

Verse 3
And finally Peter who had heard
Said I will take you had your word
And as the nets sunk in the sea
They filled up unexpectedly
Two boats filled up, began to sink
The men did not know what to think
As peter fell at Jesus' knees
Jesus called out ‘follow me’

Follow me
And you will succeed
And I will make you fishers
Fishers of men for me

4 comments:

Katie said...

I remember singing this one in G.L.O.R.Y. It's good!

matthew said...

What's G.L.O.R.Y.? The old youth worship team? I didn't know we had a name!

Anonymous said...

God's Love Openly Reaching You

I remember this song too.

matthew said...

Yeah, that's what it was....why does everyone have a better memory than me??? :)