Thursday, February 17, 2005

Ask And It Shall Be Given?

I hear quite a few Christians...and a lot of televangelists...saying that whatever you ask for in prayer, God will give you. Name it and claim it. Bing. Bang. Boom. Tonight at men's group we did a very simple study of the 'ask and receive' verses in the New Testament. Everyone of them, that I found, included a condition.

You must not seek public recognition (matt 6:6)
You must ask with others (matthew 18:19)
You must ask in faith (matthew 21:22)
You must first forgive others (mark 11:25)
You must ask in Jesus' name (John 14:14)
You must remain in Christ (John 15:7)
You must bear fruit (John 15:16)
You must first obey (1 John 3:22)
You must ask according to His will (1 John 5:14)
You must have a right motive (James 4:3)

You must treat your wife with respect (1 Peter 3:7)

The above are prayer busters

Answered prayer is not magic, it is the product of being the kind of Christian that knows Christ well enough to ask for the right things and for the right reasons.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Well said. I have nothing to add.

matthew said...

You know what's really annoying about me? I have a fear of odd numbers. And so I have to comment here even though I don't have anything to say, so that there's an even number of comments.