Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Waiting 86 years

As I type this first line, Keith Foulke has made his first pitch of the night. Strike. It is the bottom of the 9th. The Red Sox are three outs away from their first World Series championship in 86 years. Ball. Strike. Foul. My emotions are mixed. Part of being a Red Sox fan is being a loser. Part of my identity could be minutes away from disappearing. Hit up the middle.

With a man on first and no outs, it's hard not to think of 'the curse.' Something has gone wrong for 86 years now. Is the curse really over just because we beat the Yankees? Strike. Strike. Ball. Pop-out.

2 years ago the Syracuse Orangemen won the NCAA tournament. Of all the teams I cheer for, they were the first to win. Is my luck changing? Does a Red Sox win mean the Sabres will win? The Bills? Strike. Foul. Strike. Strike Out. One out away from it all!

Ball. Bouncer to the pitcher. Foulke throws. GAME OVER.

The Boston Red Sox are the 2004 World Series Champions!!!

I'm not sure what to think. I feel feelingless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

feelingless, eh? ...interesting.

I sure had feelings...not of joy though.

-Cassie

matthew said...

Yes, I find it's always easier to describe my emotions when bad thins happen. Probably b/c I've had so much practice when it comes to sports.